Institute for Infrastructure and Environment (IIE)
||Head of Institute:
Prof. Asif Usmani
Ms Joan Birse
William Rankine Building
The School of Engineering
The University of Edinburgh
The King's Buildings
Tel: +44(0)131 650 5719
Fax:+44(0)131 650 6781
Welcome to the pages of the Institute for Infrastructure and the Environment, one of the five research institutes within the School of Engineering at the University of Edinburgh. We currently have twenty members of academic staff, ten research staff, over sixty postgraduate research students, seven technical and administration staff and generally have more than ten visiting researchers.
Institute News and Blog
- Congratulations to Dr Andrea Semiao, Dr Thalia Chatzisymeon and Dr Blanca Antizar-Ladislao for being awarded a Hydro National Scholarship Project entitled "Development of a water supply toolkit for remote rural areas in Scotland" (26.11.13)
- Dr Tim Stratford and Dr Martin Gillie have been invited to present at this year's IStructE Academics Conference. (17.6.13)
- One of our graduates, Jack Barrie (pictured; MEng 2011; Currently employed by Mott MacDonald), working together with PhD candidate Paul Byars, is is one of the three ICE Graduate and Student Papers Competition finalists this year [Details]. Congratulations to Jack and Paul, and their supervisor Dr Blanca Antizar-Ladislao (10.6.13).
- Congratulations to postgraduate students Emma McIntyre and Holly Smith for their prize winning presentations at the 15th Annual IStructE Young Researchers Conference on 14.3.13. Emma won the (joint) first prize for her poster presentation and Holly won the second prize for her oral presentation (More info here).
- New appointments: Dr Ricky Carvel has been appointed as Lecturer in Combustion and Fire Dynamics (from 1.4.13) and Dr Rory Hadden has been appointed as Lecturer in Fire Investigation (from 1.7.13).
- Dr Helfrid Schulte-Herbruggen has been awarded a Royal Society Partnership Grant with Mr Callum MacLellan from Trinity Academy, a high school in Edinburgh. The project is entitled "Splashing Out! - The Water Footprint of Our Daily Lives" (2.4.13)
- Congratulations to postgraduate students Emma McIntyre and Holly Smith for their prize winning presentations at the 15th Annual IStructE Young Researchers Conference on 14.3.13. Emma won the (joint) first prize for her poster presentation and Holly won the second prize for her oral presentation.
- Dr Blanca Antizar-Ladislao has joined the editorial board of the journal Environment International (5.2.13)
- Dr Antonis Giannopoulos is now a member of the Management Committee of the EU FP7 COST Action TU1208 on Civil Engineering Applications of Ground Penetrating Radar (31.1.13)
- Congratulations to Dr Luke Bisby on his promotion to be the Arup Professor of Structures and Fire from April (21.01.13)
- A new article summarising the work of the SEED research group has been published (see page 9 in the PDF linked). (28.08.12)
- Civil Eng in Nuclear R&D Workshop (27.07.12)
- Congratulations to Dr Helen Bridle (20.07.12)
New Recruitment Video
Civil Engineering at University of Edinburgh 2012 from Laura Richards on Vimeo.
WATER AND ENVIRONMENT
PhD STUDENTSHIPS AVAILABLE
Institute staff contribute to teaching in the following degree courses:
- Undergraduate degrees:
- Postgraduate (taught) degrees:
Staff and Student Directory